Monday, December 7, 2009

Drop the egg and you get a F.

So remember back in school when you had the assignment with the egg? You had to watch over it for a week or so - treating it like a child - and guarding it oh so carefully so as not to crack or damage it at all. Heaven forbid it slipped from your clumsy grip because you would flunk your assignment and be forever dubbed the "egghead".

I think up to this point, I have felt like a glorified babysitter. My primary function has been to care for and protect this precious little project. The only difference is instead of the pressure of a mean teacher watching my every move, I deal with the pressure of severe sleep deprivation, a TOTAL loss of the ability to retain information and even at times, the loss of basic motor function.

That all changed today.

We took Penelope to an alternative treatment for colic, the chiropractor.
We toured child care facilities.
We got a freaked out, intense lesson about... WAIT, I mean...we were INFORMED about vaccinations.

We were parents. Real grown-up, decision making, wisdom seeking parents.

Holy crap. It begins.

4 comments:

Addie said...

And EVERYONE will have an opinion. :) Good luck with that!

Oh, and did you want mine?

Love you!

Dana and Andrea Davenport said...

Sure please do.Since we have opinion's I figure everyone else will as well.

Dana

Natalie said...

I hope the immunization info didn't freak you out too much, they are very important!!!

Rebekah Davenport said...

"The first to present his case seems right, till another comes forward and questions him." Prov.18:17

I don't know how many times we've jumped on one bandwagon or another... hanging precariously between the two... trying to make right decisions as parents. It IS freaky!

So many opinions, scary warnings, half-truths, personal experiences... it's enough to make anybody's head spin, even if it isn't half-asleep at the time. :)

We have our opinions like everyone else, and are happy to offer "our take" on anything we've had experience with, but overall, I take great comfort in James 1:5, which says, "If any of you lacks wisdom, he should ask God, who gives generously to all without finding fault, and it will be given to him."

I could totally identify with what you wrote in your last post... parenting is the most unsettling, challenging, unpredictable thing I've ever experienced, and also the greatest blessing.

Oh, and after Elijah was born, I remember waking up thinking, "I know we have a baby... is it a boy or girl?... doesn't really matter..." and also having to calculate my age from my birth date. These days I usually forget what I'm talking about in the middle of a sentence!