Wednesday, June 24, 2009

A Rose By Any Other Name

Baby naming is not nearly as much fun as I thought it would be. Really.
What if we give her the one name we think is safe. What if we give her the one name we determined to be absolutely, positively nickname-free and after all that effort, she winds up dubbed with the most hideous and child-hood altering nickname thinkable??
Oh the thoughts that will plague parents to be.
Now, to give curious minds rest, we only have a few names on our ‘yes’ list. In no particular order (and strategically leaving out the name in the #1 spot), they are; (drumroll please) Paige, Selah, Kay and Adele. If you think one or all of them are great, tell us. Other wise, and I say this with all the love in my heart, do us a solid and keep it to yourself. Yes, by choosing one of the aforementioned names, we would ‘actually do that to our child’. We do have a favorite, but are not necessarily closing the door on other options. Until that big naming day, we will loving and proudly call her “Peanut”.

Dana and I have been feverishly planning and preparing for Peanut. Yes, we have time still but we wanted to make sure we had all the big things out of the way first; the nursery, childcare, etc. I'm not an overachiever and I'm not one of 'those' moms but I don't like the idea of all these things bombarding me in the eleventh hour if you know what I mean.
On that note, with the help of Dana’s parents we have almost got the nursery completely painted. It's getting real folks! There is an actual nursery coming together in our home. It is an actual nursery, where an actual teeny tiny human will call home. WHOA!

I am trying to stay on top of my What To Expect While Expecting homework. What do I need to look out for in the next 3 months? What should I be keeping an eye on? And more importantly, what in the WORLD should I expect when the big day comes? In that effort, I have learned one sure fire thing…it’s definitely time to STOP doing my homework. HAVE MERCY this is a terrifying little job I’m up to. What are things like glucose testing, and Braxton hicks? What is water breaking like…do you really feel like you just wet your pants? Are epidurals really necessary and do they hurt? How much should I care about the facility I’m delivery at rather than the person doing the delivering? What if I give birth to an ugly child? Will I be objective enough to say “oooo…that’s an awkward looking kid” or will I be so head in the clouds I won’t notice her crazy eyes or missing nose? OH and there’s the whole issue of pushing a HUMAN OUT OF MY BODY, all of these things are enough to stress me into pre-term labor and that’s not going to do any of us any good. I won’t settle for total disillusionment, but I’m okay with denial…for a little longer anyway. :)

As much as we try to prepare for Peanut, she reminds me daily that she’s growing quickly and she’s very much on her way. We couldn’t be more excited for her arrival! “But I’m guessing it looks probably like a sea monkey right now and we should let it get a little cuter.”

Here’s a pic of the nursery in the works. We chose a soft yellow color and LOVED the way it worked out!


I also threw in Dana’s latest pearl of wisdom. “Shopping carts are covered in germs. I’m looking out for our child and following this method.”

He’s really picking this up quickly, he’s going to be such a great dad!

4 comments:

Addie said...

I really love Selah and Adele, but I am PARTIAL. Full disclosure there.

Also, you should stop reading What to Expect unless you have a very specific question! They address every single thing that could ever go wrong, and I remember setting it down in frustration thinking that all it did was cater to a paranoid hypochondriac mom-to-be and her fear. It's RIDICULOUS.

Side note: glucose testing was annoying for two reasons. You have to drink a sugary drink really quickly without tossing your cookies, then have blood drawn. I didn't like it, but not because it was scary/icky or whatever. Just tasted like orange soda and involved a needle and my gag reflex! And I had Braxton Hicks THROUGHOUT the pregnancy. Barely felt them, but my belly would get all hard and tight. Epidurals are lovely things if you need them. Having done this once, I'd labor as long as I could at home, and if I got to the hospital and the pain was too much, I'd cheerfully get the drugs. I don't go to the dentist to "be a hero" with my fillings! And all babies are born looking like turtles or lizards, but they cute up right quick when given time to fluff.

Ah, advice. I love to give it, hate to get it, and I bet you're damn near sick of it. WHAT FUN! Love you!

T said...

um the girl above is totally bias. i mean hello! joy's daughter is named selah and well the above girl goes by none other than adele (at least when i'm calling her). i think whatever name the peanut gets probably shouldn't be wasted on her 'cause she could be called peanut forever :) even if she's 6'0 tall...peanut it is.

remind me to tell you about my god daughter and her dad "naming" her anna hosanna. i still can't help but ask about anna every once in awhile even though her name is ella rose.

you'll do great! you'll get plenty of advice. and you can get good at telling people to shove it.

love you lovely!

Brittney said...

Love PAIGE cause that's my middle name! :) I actually love them all. WAY TO GO!!

kares said...

Knowing the number one spot name, unless it's changed, I'm really liking Paige. I may call your child couch paper (davenport and page), but only behind her back. :) Until then, Peanut is perfect.