Tuesday, May 26, 2009

"Cool Runnings" (Nooope..not the Jamaican Bobsled Team.)

So this weekend I took a hard swing at one of Rachel Ray's recipes from her latest/double issue, and I think we found a winner!
This sweet beverage is great for a casual gathering or fun barbecue if you want to add a little somethin' somethin' to the mix..I dare you..go on..give it a try!

You will need:
1 cup Sugar
1 cup Mint Leaves
6 large lemons
4-5 cups sparkling water
Fruit Popsicles (I went with Dreyers)

These ingredients will give you a good full pitcher when ice is added. Next time around, I will definitely be doubling the recipe so we have more to go around.

What to do:
In a small saucepan, bring one cup sugar and one cup water to a boil. Stir until sugar is dissolved and remove from heat.
Add one cup loosely packed mint leaves to warm mixture. (Definitely give the leaves a good rinse/clean before adding them..they tend to 'shed' schmutz into the mix.)
Refrigerate mint/sugar mixture for 6 or more hours, then remove mint leaves (if desired...next time I might crush them up and leave them in).

In a pitcher, stir together the mint/sugar mixture with juice from six large lemons and 4-5 cups of sparkling water. (I found that I ended up using a little more water than directed just to ease the 'kick' of the fresh lemon.)

When you are ready to serve, pour the juice over a little ice, and use your pick of fruit popsicle as your stir stick. The juice will take on the flavor of your stir stick and also makes for a fun and interactive treat. :) Enjoy!!

4 comments:

Ashley said...

I am definitely going to try this. I just discovered I have about 25 mint plants in my backyard. I have been looking for recipes to use frest mint!!!

Andrea said...

You won't be disappointed, I promise you!! :)

Addie said...

Yummy! I have a great mint lemon(or lime)ade recipe that sounds similar, but different.

Any time I can have popsicles is a good time for me!

NOT DANA said...

What is this garbage. You post something about JUICE and get a bunch of comments. My motorhome racing video didnt even get any replys