Tuesday, November 24, 2009

A word of encouragement..

We have a very gassy baby.

A very gassy, fussy baby makes for some seriously gnarly days/nights. I have stopped eating dairy (for the most part), chocolate, citrus and caffeine in the hopes that the absence of those items will calm her belly. Folks, when you are indescribably sleep deprived, missing chocolate and caffeine isn't exactly a welcome dietary change. Nonetheless, we soldier on and make the best of the situation. There's a lot of emoting around here lately - and the baby fusses a lot too.

We have hit the wall. The wall that stands between us and sleep and sanity, kindness and self-control. We have hit it. Full speed, MACH 10.

In the hopes of finding some sort of encouragement, I dug into the word and an old devotional I have had for years. Not because I'm trying to pose as that "good Christian girl", but because in my life the greatest source of strength and the words that have spoken truest to my heart have come directly from the word of God. In Him I find the strength to be more than my own nature will allow. So when I'm desperate, and searching for hope of some kind, light at the end of the tunnel if you will, I turn to what I know.


An excerpt from my favorite devotional, "Streams In The Desert".
"Be still and know that I am God." Psalms 46:10

All loving Father, sometimes we have walked under starless skies that dripped darkness like drenching rain. We despaired from the lack of light from the sun, moon, and stars. The gloomy darkness loomed above us as if it would last forever. And from the dark, there spoke no soothing voice to mend our broken hearts. We would gladly have welcomed even a wild clap of thunder, if only to break the torturing stillness of that mournfully depressing night.
Yet Your soft whisper of eternal love spoke more sweetly to our bruised and bleeding souls than any winds that breathe across a wind harp. It was Your "gentle whisper" that spoke to us. We were listening and we heard You, and then we looked and saw Your face, which was radiant with the light of Your love. And when we heard Your voice and saw Your face, new life returned to us, just as life returns to withered blossoms that drink the summer rain.

3 comments:

Anamaria Micu said...

Awesome word. "Streams in the Desert" is a wonderful devotional. Got me through my bed rest :)

Hang in there guys...it will get easier. Praying for you and please please please call us if you need anything or if we can help with anything. I'd love to hold your bebe while you nap or anything else. Love you friends :)

Melissa Peach said...

What lovely words. Hang in there! Noelle's first three and a half months were really rough but now she is a very happy girl. I constantly held on to the phrase "God knows what I need" That has helped me through many mothering challanges. I'm not sure if anyone has told you this or not but most babies ramp up hard core at six weeks in their fussiness levels, it has to do with their brain development, and then slowly, slowly they get less and less fussy. Hang in there!

Rebekah Davenport said...

Sometimes the only sanity we CAN have is reflecting on the Word! I'm sorry to hear that Penelope has been so fussy.

The first weeks with Elijah were rough. (Despite the fact that I was head over heels in love with him.) Major sleep deprivation is not a fun thing. Add a fussing baby and the sky falls in! The worst part, for me, was not knowing when things would improve. I couldn't see a light at the end of the tunnel, although I knew it had to be there somewhere!

It really does end. Sooner than you think (though never soon enough). In the meantime, drink in that sweet little face and keep clinging to Him...